2.1 Progress Update
January 6, 2018•322 words
I’m talking to myself while I work. That’s always a good sign.
I’m giddy with excitement at the updates in store for Standard Notes. I’m not usually prematurely optimistic, but it’s nice when things start coming together.
Version 2.1 might as well be called Version 3, but, I don’t want to be a version “45.6.8” sort of company. So we’ll be thrift.
The prototype I’m toying with of offline installation of extensions is probably most promising of all. It opens doors for new experiences and a wide variety of secure applications.
For three days now, I’ve been consumed with trying to figure out a new design language for the core Standard Notes experience, including the interface, menus, and extensions. It all feels sort of disparate now. But—and I don’t know how I’ve ended up here—I’ve caught on to something I really like. I’ve built it out as a separate CSS framework, then integrated it into the core project, and the result has caught me shamelessly admiring out loud a few times. God damn. The romance phase disintegrates quickly, so I’ll take what I can get.
The new design language will be open-source and available to any developer wanting to build nice looking applications and extensions for Standard Notes. The new visual style feels heavy, which is a quality I’ve always desired for web apps, especially when housed in Electron.
2FA—I gyrated in joy with my laptop when I first got Google Authenticator working with Standard Notes, some two weeks ago. I’ve been using it ever since, and it makes me feel so secure and warm. It’s ready to go, with only a few design tweaks remaining.
It’s all so exciting, because: Standard Notes has matched cryptowallet-like security since introducing local device encryption in V2. With end-to-end encrypted sync, local device encryption, and soon two-factor authentication, I’d be hard-pressed to name a more secure place for your contents.
And that's a beautiful thing.